I just banged out 9 miles.
Let me repeat myself.
I JUST BANGED OUT 9 MILES.
Like, that’s not something I do. I don’t just casually go for 9 MILE WEDNESDAY EVENING RUNS.
I wasn’t even going to go today. If anything, I was going to try and make it to the Race Team speedwork out, but decided against it because I’m running 5k tomorrow and other time constraints… but THEN I RAN 9 MILES ANYWAY.
Originally, I had planned on a short but sweet run to de-stress a bit. Before I left the apartment, I was feeling hopeful, like maybe I could pull out a solid 6 miles, but knowing myself, I knew it could be anywhere from 3 to 6. I made it out, feeling good, listening to my audiobook, started the run out on an area of the path I don’t normally run, ended up around River North, running down Michigan (holy tourists batman, never again) and taking a super quick bathroom break at my office (I had to GO and couldn’t find a public restroom anywhere). After that, I made my way back toward the Lakefront Trail and this time headed South.
I was feeling pretty good at the 4 mile mark and figured I could make it another 1.5 miles before I turning around which with the route I took, would work out to 7 miles total. Not sure where the optimism was coming from but I figured if I just ran another half mile farther in one direction, that would make it 8. I said fuck it, I know this path, I’m going for 8. At 6 miles, I was feeling good, I was on my game, and mile 7 was a breeze. I hit mile 8, and for the first time, I experienced the sought after “runners high.” But I didn’t stop. I said double fuck it, I’m running to Whole Foods and making it 9 miles tonight. And then I did. I contemplated going for 10 or even further because of how good I felt in the moment, but I also realized I didn’t properly eat for running that much nor did I bring water with me. 9 was good, 9 was plenty.
I had time to think about WHY I FELT SO FREAKING GOOD and here’s the list I came up with:
- Preworkout overload. Before today, I had never experienced the “tingling” sensation people say they get with preworkout, but I felt it in my arms and face. Weird shit. *also, elkay723 was asking what I use for preworkout: C4 Extreme (yeah, the cheesiest name on the planet, but let me tell you, that shit WORKS)
- Calf sleeves! Recovery! Best thing!
- Goodbye keto. Hello carbs. I’ve been eating carbs again regularly for almost 2 weeks now, and HOLYCRAP. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but if I ever decided to train for a marathon again, I will NOT being doing low-carb simultaneously. I <3 food.
- I was at the end of my audiobook, and it was getting INTENSE, and kinda kept me going.
- My favorite: the weather. It was cool tonight, low humidity. As long as much allergies don’t flare up, I welcome this fall preview.
- We’re over the hump and 9 weeks out from the Chicago Marathon. “Trust the process.”
It’s late, I’m tired, and I’m just going to end this post with saying how much I love chocolate milk and pizza.